Consumer Health, Ninth Edition
References for Chapter 25
Consumer Protection Laws,
Agencies, and Strategies
- Barrett S, Herbert V. The Vitamin Pushers: How the "HealthFood” Industry Is Selling America a Bill of Goods. Amherst, N.Y., 1994, Prometheus Books.
- Magnuson W, Carper J. The Dark Side of the Marketplace: The Plight of the American Consumer. Englewood Cliffs, N.J., 1968, Prentice-Hall.
- Young FE. FDA. The cop on the consumer beat. FDA Consumer 22(3):6-7, 1988.
- Strategic Priorities 2011-2115: Responding to the Public Health Challenges of the 21st Century. Washington, D.C., Sept 29, 2010, FDA.
- Young JH. The Toadstool Millionaires: A Social History of Patent Medicines Before Federal Regulation. Princeton, N.J., 1961, Princeton University Press.
- Reed LW. On Upton Sinclair’s The Jungle: How a food safety myth became a legend. Consumers’ Research 78(8):23-25, 35, 1995.
- Young JH. The Medical Messiahs. Princeton, N.J., 1992, Princeton University Press.
- Delusions of vigor: Better health by mail. Consumer Reports 44:50-54, 1979.
- Developing products for rare diseases & conditions. FDA Web site, Jan 18, 2011.
- Barrett S. How the Dietary Supplement Health Education Act of 1994 weakened the FDA. Quackwatch Web site, Feb 2, 2007.
- Food and Drug Administration. Regulations on statements made for dietary supplements concerning the effect of the product on the structure or function of the body; final rule. Federal Register 65:999-1050, 2000.
- Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act. FDA Web site, revised March 15, 2010.
- Questions and answers: Caffeinated alcoholic beverages. FDA Web site, Nov 17, 2010.
- Smith JS, Pillai S. Scientific status summary: Irradiation and food safety. Food Technology 58:48-55, 2004.
- Use of Bovine Somatotropin (BST) in the United States: Its Potential Effects. Washington, D.C., 1994, Executive Branch of the U.S. Government.
- Safety of Genetically Engineered Foods: Approaches to Assessing Unintended Health Effects. Washington, D.C., 2004, National Academy Press.
- FDA Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. From Test Tube to Patient: Improving Health through Human Drugs. Rockville, Md., 1999, Department of Health and Human Services.
- Basara LR, Montagne M. Searching for Magic Bullets: Orphan Drugs, Consumer Activism, and Pharmaceutical Development. Binghamton, N.Y., 1994, Haworth Press.
- Clear thinking about regulating medicines: Tidal wave of unfounded attacks on Food and Drug Administration calls for a dispassionate look at agency’s record. Public Citizen Health Research Group Health Letter 11(3):1-5, 1995.
- Young FE. Investigational new drug, antibiotic, and biological drug product regulations; treatment use and sale; final rule. Federal Register 52:19476-19477, 1987.
- OTC ingredients. FDA Web site, April 7, 2010.
- The Enforcement Story: Fiscal Year 2008. FDA Office of Regulatory Affairs, March 2009.
- Barrett S. Quackery and the FDA: A complicated story. Nutrition Forum 8:41-44, 1991.
- Vladek D. About the Bureau of Consumer Protection. FTC Web site, June 16, 2009.
- Kevin Trudeau banned from infomercials. FTC news release, Sept 7, 2004.
- Getteleman R. Memorandum opinion and order. FTC v. Kevin Trudeau, No. 03 C 3904, filed April 16, 2010.
- Appellate court upholds order requiring promoters of Supreme Greens and Coral Calcium dietary supplements to pay $48.2 million for deceptive ads. FTC news release, Oct 29, 2010.
- FTC and partners urge consumers to be on guard online. FTC news release, Sept 27, 2005.
- Derbyshire RC. Medical Licensure and Discipline in the United States. Baltimore, 1969, The Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Summary of 2010 board actions. Federation of State Medical Boards Web site, accessed Nov 19, 2011.
- Most states do not protect patients from substandard physicians, Public Citizen’s annual state medical board ranking finds. Public Citizen news release, May 12, 2011.
- About us. Data Bank Web site, accessed Dec 1, 2010.
- Levine A and others. State medical boards fail to discipline doctors with hospital actions against them. Public Citizen, March 2011.
- Barrett. S. Stay away from Dr. Lorraine Day. Quackwatch Web site, Feb 7, 2010.
This page was posted on June 1, 2012.