Consumer Health, Ninth Edition
References for Chapter 1
Consumer Health Issues
- Kaplan NL Consumer health: the times they are a-changing. Health Education 11(6):3, 1980.
- Schwartz B. The Paradox of Choice. New York, 2004, HarperCollins Publishers, p 73.
- Gunther M. Quackery and the media. In Barrett S, editor. The Health Robbers: How to Protect Your Money and Your Life, ed 2. Philadelphia, 1980, George F Stickley Co.
- Larkin M. Confessions of a former women's magazine writer. NutriWatch Web site, March 26, 2000.
- Schwitzer G. The future of health journalism. Public Health Forum 18(3):19e1-19e3, 2010.
- Kashgarian M. Doctor and patient in cyberspace, or take two aspirins and e-mail me in the morning. Yale Medicine 30(2A):22-24, 1996.
- Jarvis WT. Quackery: A national scandal. Clinical Chemistry 38:1574-1586, 1992.
- Barrett S, Herbert V. The Vitamin Pushers: How the "Health Food" Industry Is Selling America a Bill of Goods. Amherst, N.Y., 1994, Prometheus Books.
- Gorski D. Christine Maggiore and Eliza Jane Scoville: Living and dying with HIV/AIDS denialism. Science-Based Medicine Blog, Jan 5, 2009
- Wolfe SM, Laurie P. Ranking of state medical board serious disciplinary actions in 2002. HRG Web site, April 2004.
- Dodes JE, Schissel MJ. The Whole Tooth. New York, 1997, St. Martin's Press.
- Number of uninsured skyrockets 4.3 million to record 50.7 million in 2009. Physicians for a National Health Program news release, Sept 16, 2010.
- Himmelstein DU and others. Medical bankruptcy in the United States, 2007: Results of a national study. American Journal of Medicine 122:741-746, 2009.
- Sandman P. Risk communication: Facing public outrage. Peter Sandman Risk Communication Web site, Nov 10, 2001.
- Facts vs. Fears. New York, 2004, American Council on Science and Health.
- Scheuplein R, quoted in Segal M. Is it worth the worry? Determining risk. FDA Consumer 24(6):7-11, 1990.
- Welcome to the DOI System. The Digital Object Identifier System Web site, accessed Sept 23, 2011.
This page was posted on Novermber 13, 2011.